Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jinxed

A couple of months ago I gave my neighbours some help with their bikes. Very basic stuff like lubing the chain, adjusting the brakes and pumping up the tires. In the course of pumping up the tires one of the dry-rotted tubes completely blew up. My neighbour was very apologetic as I was changing the tube to which I replied "No problem, I need the practice. I hardly ever get flats so it's a good refresher." Ever since making that statement I've been cursed and getting more and more practice!

At the Off-Road Assault on Mount Mitchell in July I had 3 flats! Obviously something was wrong with the rim or the tire to have that repeat so many times but I couldn't figure it out trailside and ended up begging for that final tube and CO2 cartridge in the rain and was close enough to the end that the generous rider gave it up in spite of his own risk.

Then a couple of weeks ago while out in Cartersville getting some practice on my tri-bike I got another one. I didn't have CO2 in this case, just a small pump and I never could get the tire pressure up to an acceptable level. The bad news was that I was about 1/2 way in to the 66 mile route. Too far from the 48 mile turn off that turning back had any advantage (and there are vicious dogs on that route), but far enough from the end that I fretted about it the whole way back. I spent $1 at the next gas station compressor but of course all that happened was the air that was in the tire completely drained due to the incompatible valve. After taking the time to get the tube changed, and hand pumping it twice and riding tentatively, by the time I got back to the car it was over 100 degrees. Miserable running temperature but I did it anyway. Less than 7 weeks until the race now! The tri tire is now flat again, so I guess there is something up there although I did a pretty thorough job in that case of checking the tire and rim at the side of the road.

Did I mention that both of these happened on the rear tire. Grrrr.

No comments: