Saturday, October 13, 2007

Loss of Momentum Regained

I rode the 6 Gap Century a couple of weeks ago. It was an absolutely beautiful perfect day. The morning was chilly but I opted to dress lightly as I knew it would be warming up soon and I didn't want to be bothered with stashing layers later on. I can handle being uncomfortable quite well, a good trait to have in adventure racing. Problem was that we were rushing to the start and I forgot to put on sunscreen. I had possibly the worst sunburn that I've ever had. The top of my left shoulder looked as though I had held an iron to it. So, no riding for me for a week.

By the weekend I was feeling better and joined a couple of friends up in Dahlonega to do the Winding Stair, Fish Hatchery loop on mountain bikes. Another day of perfect conditions but I was really feeling my lack of fitness as I struggled to keep up Ken and Shelley.

Wednesday I got back to bike commuting and loving it. Friday night I visited a friend on my way home and ended up riding home in the dark. With lights of course, but it was still a first. Not as bad as I thought so I'm less worried about the early darkness stopping me from riding throughout the winter. I think I'll get some more reflective strapping just to be on the safe side.

1 comment:

Neal said...

Hey Lorna,

Glad you are back into it! I know what's it like to get going again after a lay off...first few times are rough, good for you for getting back on your bike! :)

Thanks also for your kind note.

Cheers,
Neal

PS Please tell Ken to reply to his emails...git! ;)